Historical Markers



The Oval


pix William Crosby, the third son of Captain Josiah Crosby, owned the land that is now in the village of Milford on the south side of the Souhegan River. In 1788, he gave some land to the Amherst Southwest Parish for a public square and a cemetery.

William was born in Monson on January 29, 1758, at the Crosby farm. When he was twenty-five, he inherited a deed of a farm from his father. He married Sarah Shepard, and they built a home upon the spot where the town house now stands. William was a public-spirited man who held many town offices and was considered a father of the town of Milford. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, serving under his father but also Captain John Bradford and General John Stark at the Battle of Bennington. Following the death of his father, he moved to the Crosby farm. William died on May 12, 1831, and is buried in the Elm Street cemetery next to his wife and his parents.

Under the regency of Alice R. Peck (1906-1909) the chapter placed a memorial stone on the Oval honoring William Crosby for his donation of the land. Placed on May 30, 1907, the stone reads, "Erected by the Milford Chapter, D.A.R. in honor of William Crosby who gave this land to the town of Milford, A.D. 1788."


Memorial Gates at Elm Street Cemetery


pix In 1788, William Crosby donated an acre of land for a burial ground. Known for some time as "the yard," this acre proved to not be large enough for the town deceased, and Milford purchased land on Union Street and laid out a cemetery. These lots were sold at public auction. After that space filled to capacity, the town purchased more property and made the space a public cemetery. In 1890, the cemetery, now known as Elm Street Cemetery, was established as the principal place for the town inhabitants to be buried. Many of the first settlers are buried here.

pixUnder the regency of Dorothy Ellenwood McLane (1915-1916), memorial gates were placed at the Elm Street Cemetery. The following year, regent, Lizzie Spaulding Dodge (1916-1917), placed bronze tablets on the gates.

The tablets read, "Presented by the Milford Chapter D.A.R, on its 20th Anniversary, October 19, 1915, in Honor of our pioneer men and women and Revolutionary Soldiers," and "The land or this cemetery was presented to the town by William Crosby, May 26, 1788." The iron gates were replaced in 1941 through a gift from the Howison family. Gertrude Howison served as the chapter regent from 1940 - 1942.


Captain Josiah Crosby Marker


pix Under the regency of Arlene B. George (1975-1981), the chapter participated in the placement of a New Hampshire state historical marker recognizing Captain Josiah Crosby and Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell. The easily recognizable green sign is located on Emerson Road, just off of highway 101. Chapter member, Rosamond Buchanan, was instrumental in lobbying the state to place this marker, and served as chairman for the project.

It reads, "Captain Josiah Crosby (1730-1793), Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell (1742-1832). These two Revolutionary soldiers were settlers near here in the town of Monson (afterward Amherst, now Milford). Captain Crosby served with distinction at Bunker Hill and marched in defense of Ticonderoga in 1777 and of Rhode Island in 1778. He also served Amherst as moderator, selectman, and representative to the General Court. Lieutenant Maxwell had the unusual record for a New Hampshire resident of participating in the Boston Tea Party, Battle of Lexington-Concord, and Battle of Bunker Hill. He returned to Massachusetts and later migrated west and served in the War of 1812."


Revolutionary War Soldier Graves


pix pixFrom the beginning, the chapter both located and marked the graves of Revolutionary War soldiers in Milford, Wilton, and Amherst, New Hampshire.

The chapter continues to place American flags on their graves every Memorial Day.